During President William M. Bulger’s tenure as leader of UMass from 1996–2003, he pursued the dual mission of excellence and educational opportunity. High-profile donors and corporations contributed generously to his mission through the William M. Bulger Scholarship Fund. Over one million dollars was raised in honor of his 70th birthday in 2004. President Bulger directed these gifts to UMass for the purpose of providing financial assistance to motivated students who are serious about their education.
- Be currently enrolled full time at one of the UMass campuses
- Must have an overall GPA of 3.25 with a minimum of 12 credits earned at UMass
- Be a permanent resident of Massachusetts
- Scholarship is open to all majors
- The scholarship is awarded for one year and is renewable for up to three years. A GPA of 3.25 and full-time enrollment status must be maintained throughout the duration of the scholarship.
In addition to the William M. Bulger Presidential Scholarship Application Form, students must submit the following materials as emailed PDF attachments to ONSA@honors.umass.edu before March 1, 2018:
- Current transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Letter of recommendation
- Essay responding to the question, “Who in your life has been your biggest influence and why?” (mamimum 500 words)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. All emailed material must include the student’s name and SPIRE ID number.
The scholarship provides an award of $5,000 to five outstanding students. The award is renewable for up to three years; recipients must continue to maintain all eligibility criteria for renewal of the award.