This scholarship was established in 1988 to honor the late Rosalind A. Matthews, a former trustee of UMass who joined the board in 1985. Her career included many distinctions in the corporate sector and in public service. She began her career at Textron, Inc. and held a variety of positions at John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company. She was dedicated to youth and education and was the recipient of the Exceptional Service Award from former President Jimmy Carter.
- Be a matriculated student at UMass Amherst
- Be enrolled in the Isenberg School of Management
- Be a resident of Massachusetts
- Have an overall GPA of 3.25
- Preference will be given to a high school graduate of the Boston Public School system
There is no formal application form. However, students must submit the following as PDF attachments in an email to email@example.com before September 28, 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered. All emailed material must include the student’s name and SPIRE ID number.
- Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Essay about your goals at UMass (up to 750 words)
The scholarship provides an annual award of $1,000 to one student per UMass campus for up to four years with the purpose of encouraging disadvantaged students to pursue an education that leads to a career in business. To renew the scholarship, recipients must continue to maintain all eligibility criteria.