This scholarship provides special recognition to UMass undergraduate and graduate students who demonstrate academic excellence and a passion for public service. During President Wilson’s 2003-2011 tenure as leader of UMass, he was a strong advocate for research and innovation, understanding that robust research universities are critical to the state’s knowledge-based economy. Under his leadership, UMass took major steps forward in all key areas including enrollment, research funding, and endowment growth.
- Be currently enrolled at one of the UMass campuses or be currently studying online and enrolled for at least six (6) credits in an academic program through UMassOnline
- Have an overall GPA of 3.25, with a minimum of fifteen (15) credits earned at UMass.
- Preference for business, engineering and physics majors; preference for students of any major studying abroad
- Past year’s winners may apply for renewal into a second year
There is no formal application form. However, students must submit the following as PDF attachments to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before September 28, 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered. All emailed material must include the student’s name and SPIRE ID number.
- Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- An essay about your public service (up to 750 words)
The scholarship is awarded to up to six students each year. Recipients from the past year may apply for renewal into a second year, but renewal is not guaranteed.