This scholarship was established by Charles D. Baker IV to honor the memory of his grandfather, Charles D. Baker II, who, despite experiencing significant hardships in his life, approached each day and challenge in life with persistence, optimism, and grace. Charles D. Baker II never had the opportunity to pursue higher education but served his country with distinction, ensuring that each of his children completed their college studies.
- Must have a GPA of at least 3.0
- Enrolled as a full-time student in good standing at the University of Massachusetts
- Must be a permanent resident of Massachusetts and a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Scholarship is open to all majors
Deadline for all applications is March 1, 2019.
ALL PRESIDENTIAL SCHOLARSHIPS MUST BE APPLIED FOR ONLINE VIA UMass ACADEMIC WORKS
When on the Academic Works web portal, please follow application instructions carefully.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Your application will prompt you for the following:
- Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Letter of recommendation
- Essay titled “Learning from Life’s Lessons” (up to 750 words). The essay should emphasize the importance of persistence and optimism and address:
- A difficult time in your life and what it was that made it difficult.
- How your perspective on life changed as a result of this difficulty.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. All emailed material must include the student’s name and SPIRE ID number.
The scholarship provides one or more awards each year.